Who doesn’t love wood slab furniture? We absolutely adore anything wood slab, be it live edge tables, desks, island tops, you name it. The one question we do get asked quite often is about caring for wood slab furniture. Given the number of tables and countertops we’ve installed in Rochester, New York homes, it makes sense that people want to know how to ensure the longevity of these pieces. In this article, we take a look at some wood slab do’s and don’ts. Below are some of the best ways to care for your pieces and ensure that they do in fact last a lifetime.
1. Be mindful of water.While Woodsman Design Studio has a custom finishing process that does help keep your piece water resistant, you still have to stay on top of water spills and other such events in which water can sit on the table or countertop. For example, be sure to set your drinks on coasters. If there is a water spill on your wood slab live edge table, wipe it up immediately. Don’t just let it sit there.
2. Try and protect your table from the elements. If the table was created for outdoor use that is one thing. However, if your wood slab table is meant for the interior of your Rochester home, then you do want to take some precautions to try and protect it from various elements such as excessive sunlight. Excessive sun can actually cause the wood to overheat and can also cause some of the color to fade. This is true of pretty much any type of furniture.
3. It is best to try and use natural cleaning products. Natural wood responds better to more natural cleaning products. And you don’t have to spend a fortune on organic, natural cleaning products either. For example, white vinegar is a great antibacterial solution. The key is to avoid harsh chemicals on your live edge pieces.
4. Every once in a while, it is good to condition your wood slab piece. What we mean by condition is to utilize a conditioning cream. This helps to get rid of debris and dust, among other substances that can affect the overall look of your table or countertop. It brings the natural sparkle of the piece back.
5. Dust off every once in a while with microfiber. Dust particles can build up overtime. And believe it or not, this can cause scratches in the wood if left long enough. Even just once a week take a microfiber cloth and dust the surface of the table.
The thing to keep in mind about getting a live edge wood slab table, desk, shelving unit, what have you, is that they are quite forgiving pieces. The beauty of live edge natural wood is that in some instances it does look distressed, and it is meant to. But again, there are some things you can do to help ensure that the piece lasts a very long time. If you would like something custom crafted for your Rochester, NY home, we would love to consult with you. Call today!